What is this oval-shaped device on this car’s doors? I haven’t seen it before.

Car zoomed out

Device close up

1 Answer 1


The owner has likely added them to stop the paint getting damaged when opening the car doors against a wall. The plastic piece will hit the wall first protecting the door.

  • Are you sure that this is the purpose? The door handle seems to protrude farther than this, so won't the door handle hit the wall instead?
    – hb20007
    Commented Sep 28, 2021 at 9:10
  • Okay, it seems you are right. My doubts about the effectiveness of this product aside, I was able to find it: aliexpress.com/item/33020869413.html
    – hb20007
    Commented Sep 28, 2021 at 9:28
  • 4
    @hb20007 The door handle might stick out further when the door is closed but when you open it the door pivots at the hinge and the edge is what leads and that means the protective attachment gets there before the handle. Commented Sep 28, 2021 at 9:55
  • 1
    @hb20007 because it's most relevant when the door is opened, thin plastic strip slipped over the edge of the door can be quite effective. A major reason to use them is if you park 2 cars next to each other on a drive or in tight car parks, to avoid damaging the other car as much as this one - the edge of a door can leave a little dent quite easily.
    – Chris H
    Commented Sep 29, 2021 at 14:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .