I have a car battery that I am trying to recharge. It measures 3.28v, and my charger is a Selmar Turbo 8.
This is the charger I am using:
Here is a picture of the ammeter gauge that I found
First of all I tried to charge the battery overnight and the current was about 0A. I left it overnight and came back the next afternoon, and the battery was hot to the touch, and the charger was cycling on and off, with the current about 4A.
I turned off the charger and the battery was making a quiet hissing noise, like water in a pipe, and it made this noise for about 10 minutes, so I levered off a cover and there were some holes. The voltage was about 6v at this point.
These holes were completely empty, and the battery had a strong smell, like sulfuric acid with these holes open. The battery must have been empty as it did not slosh about at all when I moved it. I filled the battery with deionised water and tried to charge it again after leaving it to cool.
I left it to charge for 3 hours, and the voltage is back down to 3v.
The charger goes up to about 12A on the ammeter gauge, which is the maximum, and then trips if I try to charge the battery on the High or Low setting at 12v, and High at 6v.
The current at 6V on the low setting is about 6A.
Have I completely destroyed the battery? Should I just buy a new one?
I don't know anything about the battery, the label is filthy, but it's a 12V car battery and its sat for about 8 months.