I just finished replacing my intake manifold gaskets. While reinstalling the fuel line bracket, I found this hose toward the rear of the engine. I checked my disassembly notes and photos and I don't have any recollection of having disconnected it from anything.

What is this hose for?

Some more info:

  • It also doesn't have any more slack in the hose to pull any further forward.
  • It connects to something just forward of the fuel tank (2nd photo) (forgive my ignorance, but I don't know the name of what it connects to)
  • It has a hose clamp, but its about 12" from the end of the hose. (but that makes me think its supposed to connect to something)

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

  • My first thought is that this is the purge line from the charcoal canister. It's possible it's been disconnected for a long time.
    – jwh20
    Sep 13, 2021 at 22:12
  • I can't tell for sure, but I'd bet this tube (and the connector behind it) are supposed to be part of the purge system and attached to a charcoal canister or purge solenoid which is not longer there. (Note: Just read @jwh20's comment, so seems they agrees with me.) Sep 13, 2021 at 22:14
  • If you're talking about the wire connector behind it, thats for the distributor. The purge solenoid is on the passenger side of the intake manifold, and is connected. Photo: imgur.com/a/aA24kJk
    – ak_
    Sep 13, 2021 at 22:46
  • @AdamKonieska - Maybe a better picture of what it's connected to underneath the vehicle? With what its attached to, is that object connected to anything? Sep 13, 2021 at 22:50
  • @Paulster2 - added images to the question. This is two shots from the side, with reference points labeled: i.sstatic.net/W7V3G.jpg I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what all the connecting parts are called.
    – ak_
    Sep 14, 2021 at 2:31

2 Answers 2


After a bit of googling, I think its a vent hose off the transfer case. Would love a second opinion on this.

enter image description here


i just finished a job with same trans . thats the only hose that comes off of the top of the case is the vent tube , and also connects to another hose then runs over to frame rail and up to top of firewall. hope this helps 37yrs greasy, experience.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .