Since I've bought my 2004 Impreza Outback Sport, I've had a problem with shifting into 1st gear.
- First gear is generally difficult to engage while moving.
- You can just force it, but it's really quite hard.
- If I'm stopped, or going really really slow, there's no shifting resistance at all.
- No other gears have this problem.
- The problem is not 100% consistent -- I'd say it happens 80%-90% of the time.
- Anecdotally, it seems to be less of a problem after I've been on the road a little while.
Based on this post, the problem might be about a gear synchronizer.
My questions are:
- What might be wrong here?
- How can I further test what is the problem?
- Can I fix or replace this part myself? How much harder will it be than what I've done before? (See my experience below)
- Is it worth fixing the specific broken/worn part, or should I replace an entire assembly of some kind? (e.g., clutch)
- Can you point me towards informational resources that could help me to fix this DIY?
My experience and tools: I have successfully replaced a rear strut assembly and two front axles without too much trouble. I have a floor jack and 2 stands at my disposal, plus a full ratchet set and torque wrench (20 to 150 ft/lbs).