I am removing some sway bar links and need to remove a rusted nut from a narrow space. There is not enough room for my impact wrench.

I know how to get a bolt off with a torch, cutter, splitter, etc. But, I'm wondering if there is some kind of tool that will extend the impact wrench force along a shaft which holds the socket? (So I can slide that into the narrow space)

I'm not talking about a U-joint, there's no room for that. I'm wondering if there is a tool/add-on for the impact wrench that keeps the original angle (or shifts is 180'), but 6 inches to the side. No idea what it's called or what it looks like.

1 Answer 1


An “extension wrench” or “offset extension wrench” could be the tool you are looking for. For example, a 1/2" Professional Tite-Reach Extension Wrench.

I am not affiliated with Tite-Reach. Their tool just seems to be one of the sturdier ones (“rated on an impact for up to 1,200ft/lbs and 225ft/lbs of direct torque”).

Impact wrench with offset extension wrench

  • Bingo!! It even works 0' or 180'. I knew such a thing must exist...I just could not find it without knowing the name of it.
    – TSG
    Commented Feb 12 at 2:37
  • Looks like it could be what you need for sure @TSG, my main thought with that is to make sure it's braced well when you use it!
    – GdD
    Commented Feb 12 at 13:24
  • You know ... I knew these existed ... no clue why I didn't remember ... deleted my answer with an upvote on yours. Well done. Commented Feb 12 at 15:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .