What is the name of this tool?

Purpose: Hit it with a hammer to loosen a seized screw, etc.

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


It's (to my knowledge) called a screw impact driver, impact screwdriver, hand impact screwdriver, or just impact driver.

  • 7
    Another name I came across: Manual Impact Driver.
    – User1974
    Aug 21, 2023 at 15:33
  • 1
    Interestingly, I was sniffing around for a very small tool like this a few weeks ago: I ended up having to drill out a Pz-headed screw deep in a precision mechanism which had been secured with Blue Loctite and was wondering whether impact would have broken the seal. Aug 22, 2023 at 4:51
  • 2
    IIUC, red Locktite is supposed to require heat to break the bond. (I've been wrong about other things, though, and could be wrong about this too...)
    – FreeMan
    Aug 22, 2023 at 12:33
  • 3
    @FreeMan - You are right about red. However, to get blue to break free easier, you can use heat on it as well. You're just trying to break the bond, which heat works very well. Aug 22, 2023 at 12:51
  • 2
    Actually, just hitting a rusty screw with a hammer (and nail punch) is sometimes sufficient to loosen the screw. Aug 22, 2023 at 15:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .