I know the panels circled in yellow are headlight washers and exist on many cars now. However, on several BMWs I have noticed an extra panel, circled in red. It is not symmetric and I have only noticed it to be located more on the passenger side. What is it for?

enter image description here


Red one is likely to be for a pull hitch. If you get stuck you can insert a screw with the hoop on the end and it will allow someone to pull you out with a chain or winch, putting load in the appropriate place (not the bumper). The screw device is probably in your trunk somewhere.

From the owners manual

enter image description here

  • 2
    Didn't know what to look for until you told me what it was. I found the picture and added it to your answer as you deserve the credit. – Move More Comments Link To Top May 16 '11 at 18:19
  • 2
    IIRC, they are also used as tie-down points when the cars are on a cargo ship. – Peter Loron Jan 26 '12 at 5:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.