I have an air chuck similar to the one pictured. The gasket in the chuck at the end of the short hose is missing so it won't seal around a tire valve and as a result, cant inflate the tire.

When I try to remove the chuck by turning the hex-nut-shaped point just below the chuck, the whole assembly just spins. I can't tell if the chuck is threaded on or if its some kind of compression fitting. enter image description here If anyone has any experience with these and can guide me on how to replace the chuck, or maybe even where I could find replacement little gaskets, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks to you all in advance.

3 Answers 3


The joint at the end you're working with is a compression fitting and you'll not be able to remove it there. You might be able to remove it at the body of the air chuck, but I'd bet it'll break the body. Realistically, the type which is shown is considered a "throw away", which means, once it's broke or not useable anymore, you should just look to replace it. I get it, as it is sort of a waste ... but that's what way of things these days.

  • That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the confirmation!
    – mikem
    Commented May 5, 2022 at 0:41
  • Before you chuck it you could try getting a pack of o-rings with varying sizes and see if you can get a fit. Googling air chuck o-rings brings up many options.
    – GdD
    Commented May 5, 2022 at 8:08
  • @GdD are you reading over my shoulder while I write up my answer ?
    – Criggie
    Commented May 5, 2022 at 8:15
  • Great minds obviously think alike @Criggie
    – GdD
    Commented May 5, 2022 at 8:36

Definitely a compression fitting - designed to be unserviceable.

Your first option is boring - get an assortment of O rings and see if any of them fit the need.

enter image description here

You could get a barbed air chuck in the same style, or one that has more of a bicycle-style of latch, or even one that you just hold in place.

enter image description here enter image description here

You would cut the compression fitting off cleanly leaving as much hose as possible.

Slip a suitably-sized jubilee clip / hose clamp over, then ram the barbs up the hosepipe. It may help to soak the end of the hose in a cup of boiled hot water to soften it. Don't use gas or flame. A hot air blower may help but they tend to scorch. Hot water is best.

Last, wrap the clamp in electrical tape or heatshrink so it can't catch on anything.

I've repaired bike pumps with these solutions. While bike fixes may sound sub par for a car, remember a car tyre is 30-40 PSI, whereas a bike tyre is anything from 40-100 PSI. If the fix works for a bike, it will work with a car.


Of course, you CAN cut the hose and fit another chuck with either a new compression fitting or some kind of clamp.

Cutting the compression fitting in order to save a centimeter of the hose is an option, too, but the connection will be less reliable.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .