So got a replacement engine oil filler cap from Honda using my reg.

This new cap does not have the original English writing which specified oil type but more importantly does not turn all the way down like the original did. From the pic you can see there is a big gap of visible cap thread. It’s already too tight. Was thinking of using pliers to undo it but this might leave marks making difficult to get refund.

Are replacement caps meant to fit like this, acceptable to use and do u have any ideas how I can move it?

Thanks enter image description here

enter image description here

  • If it has "710" then it is a cheap copy…
    – Solar Mike
    Sep 25, 2021 at 3:58
  • @SolarMike That is obviously OIL upside down!
    – alephzero
    Sep 25, 2021 at 15:11
  • @alephzero yup, that's the joke... normally a blonde - told it to my sister who is blonde and she found it funny then told me another...
    – Solar Mike
    Sep 25, 2021 at 15:12
  • Go back, get them to remove it and supply the correct one.
    – Solar Mike
    Sep 25, 2021 at 18:56
  • It might or might not be the correct oil filler cap, but why have you put it on top of one of the front suspension mounts, and not where it belongs, which is on top of the engine? See carthrottle.com/post/n445xpp for example.
    – alephzero
    Sep 25, 2021 at 23:04

1 Answer 1


It clearly isn’t the correct one for your engine. Either the threads are the wrong size or the threaded part is too long. Air could be leaking past the threads, so a better fitting one is needed.

If you are saying that it is now stuck in, then if you put a thick cloth over the cap and use something like these, you should be able to get it out without damaging it. Put the jaws in vertically from above.

enter image description here

I got this photo from - https://terrybookers.co.uk/large-water-pump-pliers-1658-p.asp

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .