I need to replace a fuel evaporation rubber hose and the OEM hose is no longer made. I was looking through McMaster Carr and saw that there were hoses specifically for fuel and specifically for air.

For a fuel evaporation line, do I need to use a rubber hose that's rated for fuel? Or does a rubber hose rated for air work as well?

  • 3
    Fuel vapor = fuel. Keep it simple. You really need a fuel compatible material. With that said your use of the word rubber is very misleading. I believe you intended to use the word flexible instead.
    – zipzit
    May 12, 2021 at 2:20

2 Answers 2


Yes, you really need a flexible hose that is compatible with fuel. From a glance at a materials specification, I think you should be looking for a hose made from Nitrile. Other compatible materials include Viton, Fluorosilicone but those are not as common as Nitrile. Polyurethane is rated as "fair" for compatibility with Gasoline. Reference

With that said, I suspect the easiest and least expensive place to obtain fuel vapor hosing would be at your local autoparts store. They sell the stuff by the inch.


Use a hose rated for fuel. The hose needs to have to same properties regardless if fluid is a vapor or liquid.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .