As you can see in the picture below the valves in this ferrari dino dohc 2 valves per cylinder v6 engine are placed side by side and not in a row. And as you can see here in the other picture below the valves of this pushrod 2 valves per cylinder engine are placed in line and not side by side. What are the pros and cons of both of those types of placement of the valves?
- Angle of the valves give better flow into and out of the cylinder
- Revs higher
- More complicated
- Higher center of gravity
- Less compact
- Costs more to produce and fix
- Less complicated
- Single cam to run them all
- Cheaper to produce and fix
- More compact setup
- Angles of valve complicates flow paths (not as straight of flow to/from chamber)
- Rev range limited
Mind you, these pros/cons have more to do with the entire valve train versus just the valve placement themselves.