My VW Rabbit has had issues starting for the past few years. Last week, it stopped starting all together. Here are some of my observations and testings
- The car did not run rough once it did start previously
- There is no check engine light on now or before
- I just changed the spark plugs and air filter
- It is not the battery as I charged it up with an external charger
- The engine does turn over fine with the starter. I do not expect the starter is at fault.
One interesting thing to note is it does start weakly for about about 1-2 seconds after it has sat for a while. The next time, it will not.
With no error codes being thrown, I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next except just start replacing parts which I want to avoid. I thought the VW computer could detect if the ignition coils were bad. I also am a bit confused as to what it could be that it would run fun once started up to this point. Any ideas are appreciated.