The vehicle is a 2010 Fiat Ducato (x250) 2.3L Turbo Diesel with an old third party Ituran anti-theft system.
There are two codes
- U1602 CAN Line, Bus Off in the Instrument Cluster - intermittent
- D602 CAN Line Error, Bus Off in the Body Computer.
The engine does not turn over at all. Battery full and verified as good. There is a small 300ma parasitic draw which drops to 100ma when the fuse for the security system is pulled. There is also a history of hard starting when the engine is cold. The starter seems to have been replaced once already.
Start Attempt 1 - Measurements taken while cranking
- VDrop across the engine ground strap of 0.5 volts.
- B+ drops from 12.65 to 12.37
- 19 Amps draw measured at B-
- 10.5 volts measured at starter solenoid when grounding to engine block
Ground strap was clearly bad so I replaced it and retested.
Start Attempt 2
- VDrop across the ground strap 0.003v
- B+ drops from 12.68 to 12.32
- 14 Amps at B-
- 11.13 Volts at starter solenoid when grounding to engine block
- Vdrop from B+ to the starter solenoid of 1.3 volts
Clearly the starter solenoid is not closing since if it was the amperage draw would be way higher. It seems clear that the voltage drop between B+ and the positive solenoid terminal is way too high, but is it high enough to prevent the solenoid from engaging? If it is, could it be that the security system switches in a resistor? The Ituran customer service says their remote diagnostics say the system is working correctly.
So one question is why do I have this voltage drop?
Other than bad wiring / connections or a misbehaving anti-theft system, the other explanation I can think of is that high resistance in the ground path put too much stress on the starter solenoid and caused a partial short in it's windings. Could this explain both why it's not engaging and why there is a voltage drop?
So in trying to determine if it's the anti-theft, wiring or starter solenoid that's the problem what would my next step be? I'm thinking maybe get a heavy duty jumper wire and connect directly between the battery and starter solenoid?
Here are some pictures of the old ground strap
and where I'm connecting to measure at the solenoid: