0

Car won't start; when I attempt to turn the key, there's no turning over or clicking of any kind. No accessories come on (A/C, radio, etc.), but the interior lights will turn on. They seem slightly dim, but it is day time.

I used a Black & Decker 15 amp charger to check the battery and after probably 20 minutes it said FLO, or float, which I think means that the charger thinks the battery is completely charged and in float mode. The car still won't turn over or start at all, no radio or A/C. Please help. I know some possibly culprits are the starter and alternator, or possibly the ignition switch, barring my battery itself going bad.

1
  • Have you checked the fuses? If they're all fine, check for corroded earth connections. – user60481 Jan 4 at 13:01
0

If the battery is fully charged and can power the interior lights there's little reason to doubt it.

I would rule out a bad alternator/charging system because the battery did not require much time to reach full charge.

You have already mentioned most of the common reasons for a no-crank condition. Here are a few more:

  • Poor connection between the battery and starter
    This includes corroded terminals, bad ground and bad wires
  • A failing starter
    In which case whacking the starter with a heavy implement might help
  • Lack of ignition command
    Reasons include a failing ignition switch and bad ignition relay
4
  • I just took the battery to O'Reilly and they said it was reading around 10 volts, which isn't enough to start the car. Obviously it wasn't fully charged, so I don't know if that means that the battery has a bad cell or what. They've got it charging now and I'm going back for it in a couple of hours to see what the results are. – Ryan Jan 3 at 23:22
  • 2
    How old is the battery? A lead storage battery is reliable for only five years. – Carguy Jan 4 at 4:29
  • @Ryan as the carguy said if your battery is too old, it's time to change the battery. In my country, the battery only lasts up to 2yrs :) the cells are identical to a battery made in India :D – Cubic273.15 Jan 4 at 6:02
  • Both the battery charger and the voltage regulator measure how many volts are sensed while charging, i.e. if they were connected to a dry block of wood they'd think it was charged because 15 volts didn't cause appreciable amps flowing. Likewise, the battery being only 10 volts could be a result of not being charged enough because of the above reasons due to corrosion somewhere, likely close to the battery because of the vented fumes. – Arthur Kalliokoski Jan 4 at 13:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.