A friend attended an an online lecture (unrelated to vehicle maintenance and repair) in which the instructor mentioned going into their mechanics toolbox to retrieve a tool that resembled an ice pick.

They made it sound like perhaps it had different heads with different diameters, and described the smallest one as "needle-like".

I can't think of any mechanics tools that resemble this description except perhaps an awl.

Any ideas what tool(s) to which they might have been referring?


Sounds similar to the picks I've always used. Mostly I use them for removing clips, roll pins and also just digging at miscellaneous stuff. A set from craftsman has always been my favorite but I think it was discontinued. Same as these ones tho. There are other sizes/shapes but these 4 are the most common. Many places will call them "o-ring removal picks".


  • 1
    You know, I have a set of those... somewhere. I remember they have orange handles, but don't remember where I put them. I think I would prefer to remember where they are instead of their color ;) – RockPaperLz- Mask it or Casket Oct 23 '20 at 23:52
  • 1
    Yes, we have one of those lying around the shop for no reason, never used it in years, and it saved my bacon when I was trying to reassemble an alternator (to put the brushes in the "sprung back" position to let the slip ring get by). – Harper - Reinstate Monica Oct 24 '20 at 15:18
  • 1
    One of my best purchases from the pound shop (you might call it a dollar store). I actually used them to pick out seals too. Not the aquatic kind. – upsidedowncreature Oct 28 '20 at 0:33

Sure. Scribes, punches, etc. Many look like ice picks.

enter image description here

  • Thanks. What does one use those for when working on automobiles that make them a better choice than an awl? – RockPaperLz- Mask it or Casket Oct 23 '20 at 19:57
  • A genuine awl is a hand tool for woodwork or leather work. It isn't designed to survive being hit with a hammer, like a metalworking punch. – alephzero Oct 23 '20 at 20:21
  • I have heard them called "prick" punch or "center" punch. – blacksmith37 Oct 24 '20 at 1:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.