I was drivin yesterday and all sudden a sound happened that I didn't like.
It was kindof like brake noise... a light squeek... but also kinda like that slippin belt sound like when people start their cars up that dont take care of em good.
It sounds kinda like a teapot goin off... like basically the same tone regardless of how fast yer goin. It's constant in nature generally... when it's happenin.
I pulled over and stuck my head under the vehicle hopin to find a tree branch stuck in the brake calper or sum. You know when that happens and a twig segment gets to restin just right on the rotor so it starts singin? It sounds exactly how that would sound.
But now I'm scared, cuz there was no dang branch. There was nothin I could see at all other than normal van parts.
To me it dont sound like a bearing... cuz it sounds kinda squeeky like rubber-on-rubber almost... it's confusing... not grindy like metal on metal (and I have bad bearings happen before... I even had one get so hot the axle had to had to be sawed off by the dealership n order to remove it)
So I guess we could make it fun like a riddle:
- I sound wierd (I splained it above)
- I sound like I'm comin from the front right
- I never happen when the vehicle is stopped
- I does change sometimes when brakes are applied (gets more quiet or stops while brakes are pushed on)
- I sometimes go away but then get woke up again by goin over some bumps
- I definitely change with regards to how much lateral force is applied to the front wheels such as weavin in the road or bein on a tilted road one way or the other. I'm "on" when turning left or leanin right, and "off" when turnin right or leanin left.
- I am either on or off, there is no in between.
- I ain't no different whether the van is in neutral or not, only matters if the van is moving or not.
- I am part of a 1998 Ford 5.4 v8 econoline van.
What am I? and what's goin on?