I would like to ask for your help diagnosing my bike's starting issue.
Long story short: the starter won't turn, but once I manage to push-start the bike, the bike runs perfectly. The starter sometimes turns when the engine is on. Here is a video showing what's wrong in 50 seconds.
Full story: What is the problem? When I push the start button, the lights go off, the dashboard goes off, and I hear a clicking sound (which I identified as coming from the starter relay). The starter does not turn at all, or sometimes, it makes one turn before killing the lights and not turning again.
Temporary solution that I found: Push-starting the bike in 4th gear is extremely easy. I push it to about 10km/h while in 4th gear, let go of the clutch and press the start button simultaneously. This is enough to start the bike. Once it starts, I hit the clutch really fast, and rev the engine a bit. The bike rolls perfectly after that.
Troubleshooting done so far, in chronological order:
- I thought it was a faulty battery. Changed the battery for a new one, did not fix the problem.
- I thought that the starter was broken, but it works whenever the engine is on (without needing to rev the engine). Sometimes pushing the start button kills the engine, but rarely; most of the times it turns the starter.
- Thought it was a faulty starter relay. Changed it for a new one, did not fix the problem.
- I thought that maybe the generator failed to charge the battery properly. I excluded that possibility by connecting the bike's battery to an external jump-starting battery (said external battery is sufficiently strong to start a Diesel truck). The starter still did not turn.
- I connected a volt-meter to the battery to see what happens when I push the start button: Voltage drops from ≈12V to ≈6V, be it with or without an external battery connected.
One last symptom I noticed: If I keep the start button pushed for long enough (5 seconds), the dashboard's clock resets to 1:00 (as though the bike ran out of battery).
Update: Found this YouTube video showing a starter problem compatible with what I am experiencing: Harely starter with a similar problem.
- Would you guys say that this explains my Ninja's symptoms? Notably, why would the starter work when the engine is running?
- Also, would changing the starter be a solid idea in this case? Or is it more likely to be a cable problem?