Over the course of the last year, I've been hearing clicking becoming louder and louder from the underside of our Grand Cherokee. I replaced the foremost U-joint a year and a half ago, and have since tugged at all four joins (4WD) to make sure that none of them have any play. I'm out of ideas on what this could be, and I'm not even sure how to go about troubleshooting it.
Some clues that might help...
- the clicking only occurs when the car is in motion.
- the frequency of clicking increases with speed
- the noise has increased in volume over the past 6 months.
- the noise happens immediately after the car starts to move, even if the car was just started.
- it seems like the clicking is coming from somewhere near the front of the car, either directly under the gear shifter (which is where the transfer box is) or in the engine compartment (I know, this isn't much help, but it might provide some incite.)
If there's any other detail you'd like to try to get info about, don't be shy. I'm also curious if there's anything in the wheels that I should be looking at...