My mechanic told me reassembling the cylinder‑head for a ᴠᴠᴛ‑i engine requires specific Toyota tools.

His car part provider isn’t selling them, and as he is unable to use a computer or a mobile phone (and thus Internet), he can’t look elsewhere online.
On my end, I got my driver license only one year ago, and van renting compating requires drivers licenses to be older than 5 years (not by law but based on business decisions) (the nearest Toyota repair shop being more than 200Km away).

So we agreed that it would be Ok if I buy the tools myself along the manual to use them.
But in order to look at the tools online, I need the names of what to buy.

So which is the specific tool required for reassembling cylinders‑heads of 2ꜱ‑ᴢꜰᴇ engines ?

The car is a December 2007 Yaris 1297cc.

  • 1
    Have you considered getting a better mechanic? These days a mechanic who is unable to use technology is not really very useful.
    – jwh20
    Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 18:30
  • @jwh20 back to problem 1 : renting a van for moving the car elsewhere only 1 year after getting the driving license for the 1ˢᵗ time. Local car towers don’t run for more than 100Km. So even towing isn’t possible whatever the price. Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 19:19
  • Get the manual then you will have the names and part numbers for the tools...
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 20:24
  • @SolarMike it’s not in the manual. It should be in the manuel sold with the tools. Additionnaly, neither I or the mechanic read Italiano. Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 22:35
  • None of this makes any sense. Toyota is an international company. You can get the manuals in any language you want (including English). Did your so-called "mechanic" take the head off BEFORE discovering he needed "special tools" to reassemble it? Looking at a couple of web sites, the only "special tool" you need is a torx screwdriver set, which you can buy anywhere on line - but how did your mechanic take it apart without that? Did he just use a blowtorch and a hammer or something … ???
    – alephzero
    Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 23:52

1 Answer 1


The only thing I can think that your so-called mechanic is talking about being a Toyota-specific part is the Crankshaft Pulley Holding Tool which is OEM part# 09213-54015, it's not exactly some arcane unicorn baby tooth that is hard to get a hold of. It's applicable to a wide range of Toyota engines and is easily available from either Toyota themselves (see earlier link) or other aftermarket tool suppliers - complete with plenty of documentation with how to use them.

Although I have to agree @SolarMike any Toyota workshop manual worth the paper it's printed on should have the information of how to use these tools (and which tools are required).

As an aside, the idea of a professional mechanic expecting you (the customer) to buy a tool that realistically they should be obtaining as part of doing business is shocking - and the notion that they are somehow incapable of obtaining this themselves is so absurd I almost spat my coffee out. It's a fricking Toyota not some rare and exotic car that was only made for two years in a shed in Elbonia. So it's not that he can't get the appropriate tool, he won't.

Your "mechanic" knows he's got you over a barrel - your car is in pieces at his place and you would have a load of hassle and expense to get it elsewhere. And they are damn sure making the most of it! You might not be able to get out of being screwed over on this job but I wouldn't be trusting this place with any future work!

  • Finally found the 2 required tools for an astonishing minimal amount of 290€ or more while calling an other mechanic. Don’t remember the name, but I’m unwilling to pay. Commented Oct 23, 2019 at 12:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .