enter image description here

What kind of part is this and what does it do

  • Can that red thing be pushed? What does the rest of it look like? What do the ends of the wire look like? Is there any sort of label or model number at all? Where did you find it? Is that a lever which rocks back and forth?
    – MonkeyZeus
    Oct 8, 2019 at 19:57

1 Answer 1


It's a vintage turn signal of the type used on semi-trucks.

enter image description here

(Taken from this YouTube.com video)

  • It was used on cars also, back when you wanted to add turn signals to a car/pickup that did not have them from the factory or sometimes was cheaper than fixing the factory turn signal switch. Put many of them on myself.
    – Moab
    Oct 8, 2019 at 21:40
  • @Moab - I had only seen them used on older semis, but absolutely I could see them being used anywhere like what you're talking about. Pretty much foolproof and worked, so there you go :o) Oct 8, 2019 at 21:42
  • What is the red button for? Hazards?
    – HandyHowie
    Oct 9, 2019 at 9:05
  • Red button is 4 way hazard switch. Also common on school buses from 1950's and early 1960's.
    – mongo
    Oct 9, 2019 at 13:34
  • Turn signals and dual brake lamps wasn't required by law in the USA until 1960.
    – zipzit
    Oct 9, 2019 at 23:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .