I went on vacation for a week. The car was working fine before I left.

I came back and there is no power. Can't turn on headlights or unlock/lock with remote, and the car gives a clicking sound when starting. Tried booster cables and also wall charger for battery, and the wall charger says the battery is 80%+ charged. I didn't leave the headlights or interior lights on either so somehow it magically got disconnected or blew a fuse it seems.

any ideas?

car: 2006 Mustang GT Convertible

  • Have you tried push-starting the car? – Captain Kenpachi Sep 2 '13 at 19:25
  • @JuannStrauss I believe that push-starting can damage catalytic converters. At least in my 2003 Volvo S60 owners manual it states: "If the car's battery is dead, do not attempt to start the vehicle by pushing or pulling it as this will damage the three-way catalytic converter(ss). The engine must be jump started using an auxiliary battery" – Seminecis Sep 3 '13 at 0:01
  • So much for progress then. – Captain Kenpachi Sep 3 '13 at 5:42

How old is the battery? If it's the original one, it's probably just in need of replacement. 5-7 years is a typical battery lifetime. At the end of life, they will sometimes appear to charge, but die rapidly if not used for a few days.

| improve this answer | |
  • You can have the battery tested for free at a parts store or some battery chargers have testers built in. – Seminecis Sep 3 '13 at 0:06

Turned out it was the battery after all.. the charger I was using gave a false positive for being charged possible because it was connected to a slightly rusted bolt for grounding.

The cables I was using were also slightly rusted, I bought new ones and after fiddling a few times we we able to jumpstart it.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.