3

I went on vacation for a week. The car was working fine before I left.

I came back and there is no power. Can't turn on headlights or unlock/lock with remote, and the car gives a clicking sound when starting. Tried booster cables and also wall charger for battery, and the wall charger says the battery is 80%+ charged. I didn't leave the headlights or interior lights on either so somehow it magically got disconnected or blew a fuse it seems.

any ideas?

car: 2006 Mustang GT Convertible

3
  • Have you tried push-starting the car? Commented Sep 2, 2013 at 19:25
  • @JuannStrauss I believe that push-starting can damage catalytic converters. At least in my 2003 Volvo S60 owners manual it states: "If the car's battery is dead, do not attempt to start the vehicle by pushing or pulling it as this will damage the three-way catalytic converter(ss). The engine must be jump started using an auxiliary battery"
    – Seminecis
    Commented Sep 3, 2013 at 0:01
  • So much for progress then. Commented Sep 3, 2013 at 5:42

2 Answers 2

7

How old is the battery? If it's the original one, it's probably just in need of replacement. 5-7 years is a typical battery lifetime. At the end of life, they will sometimes appear to charge, but die rapidly if not used for a few days.

1
  • You can have the battery tested for free at a parts store or some battery chargers have testers built in.
    – Seminecis
    Commented Sep 3, 2013 at 0:06
1

Turned out it was the battery after all.. the charger I was using gave a false positive for being charged possible because it was connected to a slightly rusted bolt for grounding.

The cables I was using were also slightly rusted, I bought new ones and after fiddling a few times we we able to jumpstart it.

0

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .