I need to fill a 1968 Mercedes 280s which has a slow transmission leak and I do not know the right fluid to use. The manual simply says fill with automatic transmission fluid, which isn't very helpful considering how many types there are now.

What ATF should I use?

  • There is "generic" automotive ATF ... I'd suspect this is exactly what they are talking about ... however, I agree ... better to know exactly what to use rather than guess. Aug 17, 2019 at 19:47
  • 1
    They used Dexron ATF those years.
    – Moab
    Aug 17, 2019 at 20:29
  • Thanks @Solar, I tried that link and unfortunately it tells me nothing is available.
    – GdD
    Aug 18, 2019 at 10:13
  • @Moab, I'd take that as an answer if you turn it into one.
    – GdD
    Aug 18, 2019 at 10:15

2 Answers 2


They used Dexron ATF those years, any Dexron ATF will work in your transmission.


From this link it seems you have a few options with the suggested being Mobil ATF D/M. Hope this helps!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .