I own a 2003 Ford Focus, made for EU and I wonder for what is this key hole designed for.enter image description here

  • Can you take a picture more in focus to show the symbols next to each key position
    – Rory Alsop
    Jul 21, 2019 at 14:08
  • Car model and year? Jul 22, 2019 at 2:31
  • @David - hthey said it's a 2003 Ford Focus...
    – Rory Alsop
    Jul 22, 2019 at 7:21
  • @RoryAlsop Thanks. Sigh. Reading inaccurately strikes again. Jul 22, 2019 at 13:59
  • lol - it happens. Especially on mobile, I find...
    – Rory Alsop
    Jul 22, 2019 at 14:05

1 Answer 1


Shift lock

My 02 Nissan had one. Someone rear ended me once, I couldn't get the car into gear from P. Turns out, the lock became engaged, needed to use my car key to unlock

  • The 99-900 (and maybe 9000) series Saab automobiles had the ignition switch and lock mounted down there; the key could only be removed if the gearbox had been shifted into reverse. There was no steering lock; the on-the-gearbox ignition switch arrangement met DOT requirements to disable the vehicle when the engine was off. Jul 29, 2019 at 14:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .