Presume that the car rental agency forbids modifying rented sedans in any way. Then how can I acquire more frontal lumens, to illuminate the road more?

It didn't work to place a flashlight on the dashboard beneath the front windshield as beneath, as the front windshield reflected too much light and overwhelmingly bedazzled us.

enter image description here

Here's the PNG for the flashlight.

  • Do you mean to make the road more visible? or the cabin interior? – Mauro Jul 4 '19 at 7:36
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because giving impossible restrictions makes this unanswerable. – motosubatsu Jul 4 '19 at 12:09
  • 1
    I'm voting to close because the question is unclear, the picture is photoshopped to have a flashlight in an impossible place. – GdD Jul 4 '19 at 13:10
  • @Mauro Yes, I'm trying to make the road more visible. – NNOX Apps Jul 4 '19 at 14:58
  • 2
    What about brighter bulbs? Changing them can't be considered as modification. There are (quite expensive) bulbs which give more, cooler light. They have the same wattage as normal bulbs, but burn hotter - at the cost of 50% life time. – sweber Jul 5 '19 at 4:42

Please don't illuminate the road with a flashlight.

Flashlights are circularly symmetric. Car headlights are optimized for the road in front, and correctly aligned to not dazzle oncoming drivers.

A circularly symmetric light source illuminating the road WILL dazzle oncoming drivers.

Any solution to illuminate the road requires high and low beams, with the low beams being selected when there's an oncoming driver. Both beams need to be optimized for illuminating the road or you'll see little benefit and LOT of dazzling of oncoming drivers.

If modification is forbidden, your only option is to purchase another car with better headlights. It is unfortunate that there are laws that restrict what you can do, but the purpose of the laws is to prevent you from accidentally dazzling oncoming drivers. The cost of designing a custom light source far exceeds the cost of getting rid of your car and purchasing one with better headlights to replace it.

Any light source temporarily mounted to your car is a modification of the car's headlight system, and hence likely to be illegal.


If any modification is forbidden as you state, then you cannot.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.