i have a ford taurus- new pump put on 4 days ago. fluid bubbling started today causing steam when car is turned off. what needs to be done? is it safe to drive?
You need to bleed the system of all air before starting the vehicle. Especially on ford's, you can destroy that new pump instantly.
The proper installation is as follows:
- Install new pump onto vehicle and connect lines
- Fill pump full of new power steering fluid
- Roll power steering pully with a wrench or by hand and add fluid accordingly, do this by hand until you see very few air bubbles.
- Start vehicle, add fluid until at the cold line
- Turn steering wheel hard left and hard right until no air bubbles are seen and noise is quiet.
- Fill to slightly below max hot with vehicle OFF.
Ford PS pumps are the worst.