While looking at my tire, I noticed this flexible piece of plastic that I can almost rip off. My tires got rotated a bunch, but I believe this one has been patched before. Is this the other end of a tire patch? Or is this a manufacturing defect? Thanks!

![enter image description here


It is a tire plug. At some point a puncture repair was made. This type of plug is shaped like a mushroom. The tire is dismounted from the rim. The "mushroom" stem is inserted into the defect from the inside of the tire. The "mushroom" cap seals the hole from the inside. So it is a patch and plug in one. The advantage of the plug design is the internal pressure keeps the plug in place. The older style "rope plugs" were subject to failure as they were installed from the tread side of the tire. Plugs can only be installed in the tread areas.

| improve this answer | |
  • It's fine for me to keep driving on this? – jn1kk May 17 '19 at 17:09
  • 2
    Yes that is the purpose of the plug, to restore the tire to usable status. – mikes May 17 '19 at 19:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.