I've been told by my (non-dealer) auto mechanic that I have a crack in the flex pipe that is connected to the exhaust manifold.


Said mechanic claims that an after-market kit to repair this problem does not exist for my model year, and it will require a dealer repair costing approximately $1700.


1) Is the claim that I have to take this to a dealer accurate? Is there no after-market part that could be used?

2) Would a custom exhaust shop be able to come up with a "workaround" that would be more affordable? Would a "normal" mechanic be able to come up with such a repair, or would it require a shop that specialized in exhaust repair?


The answer is; they are partially correct.

No kit exists to repair the flex. The flex is part of the catalytic converter assembly.

To fix the issue replace the catalytic converter. A retailer such as rockauto sells replacement converters (including the flex) for under $200.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.