I have a custom vehicle that uses 1972 1600cc VW parts and has the cable driven speedometer in MPH. I was curious if there is a reliable product that I can use to convert from anolog to digital to allow for smaller gauges/custom clusters.

  • You want us to research a suitable product?
    – Solar Mike
    Mar 18 '19 at 7:17
  • Not research, but information on a unit that someone may have had installed in a professional environment. There's one I found that might work but holds no engineering testing certification so it makes me cautious to use it.
    – SGZLS
    Mar 18 '19 at 14:29

Electronic speedometers typically pickup a signal from an electromagnetic pickup which takes a signal from a magnet attached to the output of the final drive. It is possible to adapt certain gearboxes which provide a cable drive to use this type of pickup such as this or you could fit ABS rings and take a feed from the wheel speed sensor. Effectively, all you need is an electrical "pulse" and a speedometer capable of being calibrated to this signal.


One solution is to use a GPS Speedometer. Google it and you will find lots of options.

  • Check if a GPS speedometer is road legal in your country. (The UK legal situation is a bit silly - they are illegal since they don't work in all situations (e.g. in tunnels) but the speedo is not checked as part of the annual MOT vehicle test!)
    – alephzero
    Mar 18 '19 at 9:35
  • GPS is not ideal, I currently use my GPS as a speedometer beside the anolog one to make sure my speed is accurate. Too many red light/speed traps where I'm from to loose signal and try to match crowd speed.
    – SGZLS
    Mar 18 '19 at 14:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.