I was power washing my runabout boat today and sprayed over this vent. What is behind the vent? Is it OK to get it wet?

My boat is a Stingray, but this picture is from a Bayliner.

enter image description here

  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about boats and fittings, not about motor vehicle (that is, land motor vehicle) maintenance and repair Feb 25, 2019 at 4:51
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is not motor vehicle maintenance or repair.
    – Solar Mike
    Feb 25, 2019 at 6:57
  • 2
    Mike/David - we have established that boats are on-topic here as long as the question is about maintenance or repair. The OP is asking about the risk of damage from water ingress, so IMHO that is relevant. If he were asking about fibreglassing the hull or repairing the rudder I'd agree with off-topic.
    – Nick C
    Feb 25, 2019 at 9:45
  • @NickC if it was engine or even engineering related ie shafts, bearings, tolerances etc I would agree. But some non-descript ventilation slot...
    – Solar Mike
    Feb 25, 2019 at 11:15
  • Is there a stack exchange community that is better suited for this question? I looked around but could not find one for marine.
    – Caleb
    Feb 25, 2019 at 19:08

1 Answer 1


That's a bilge blower vent. There's a hose going from the engine bay to the vent with an electric air blower in the middle.

You can verify this by turning on the bilge blower and check if there is a small flow of air (and noise) from the vent.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.