My friend has a 2012 Honda Civic and the license plate light cover falls off. I searched online for replacement and I can’t find the official term for it. Does anyone know?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Any dealership parts person will be able to find it by the name you gave it.
    – Solar Mike
    Feb 24, 2019 at 15:47

3 Answers 3


If you are talking about the piece which has the Honda emblem in it, the only thing I'm seeing it called is Trim (garnish) assembly, trunk lid.

enter image description here

It would be part "27" or "28" on the right hand side.

  • I clicked on “What This Fits”. Seems like it’s for 2 door trims only Feb 24, 2019 at 18:25
  • @DylanCzenski - Dunno ... You didn't put the model of the Civic in question, just said it was a Civic. Plus, you only asked "what is this called". I put the link in the answer along with the image to show you what I'm talking about, not the exact part number or piece you're looking for. You should be able to find the piece in question using the link and what it's called. Feb 24, 2019 at 18:57
  • @paulster2 Did you ever get an answer to this? I don't think any of the answers above are correct. My son's 2012 Civic has the exact same issue - there is an opening under the single license plate light, which looks like it should have some cover/lens. I can't find any part listed anywhere. Perhaps it truly should just have an open hole? Aug 14 at 18:49

A quick search using The Google with the terms "2012 Honda Civic license plate light cover" returns a number of results. At the top of the list is the PartsGeek.com option for under four dollars US.

light cover

I'm not sure why, but it references the passenger side in the description. More than one location?

  • That looks like the cover for the light bulb, not the cover of the whole light. The latter has a Honda logo on it Feb 24, 2019 at 16:06

It took a bit of snooping around because strangely, for the 4 door sedan model, the trim piece isn't under the Trunk Lid category. Instead it was under Electrical > License Light, labelled as Garnish Assy., RR. License.

License Light Diagram

Annoyingly, there are different part numbers for every paint colour, so I linked the parent page that contains all of them. Basically, you're looking for 74890-TR3-A01Z_, where the last digit specifies the paint colour. It's labelled as part #5 in the diagram. Note that 74890-TR0-A01Z_ parts are manufactured in Japan, so they're most likely intended for the JDM/international Civic models. You can consult with your dealer to confirm the exact part number, although from my experience, they usually take a while to figure it out from their diagrams.

I believe the part number actually contains all of the clips and the emblem as well (the ones encapsulated by the hexagon-ish shape for #5), which may or may not be what you want. In these cases, there is no way to specify just the trim piece itself from Honda's parts system.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .