enter image description here

Curious as to what this circular port is on our 72 VW Ghia. There is a matching one on the opposite side. There appears to be a bolt immediately opposite on the inside panel but I've not attempted to take it off yet. I'm familiar with the little tow sockets that are often in the front / rear bumpers and this has a similar feel, but being on the rear driver and passenger sides I'm just not sure

  • I'm wondering if that's the lift point for the jack? This would be the type of jack which has a horizontal bar which you'd stick into a whole in the side of the vehicle. Not dealt with a Ghia before ... actually don't think I've ever seen one in person (well, close enough to inspect it, anyway). Feb 1, 2019 at 22:05
  • 1
    I don't think my idea is right, but this image does show the little "hole" just near the jack point. Feb 1, 2019 at 22:07
  • Car jack support point? Feb 1, 2019 at 22:08
  • yes @Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 - in the Step 5 image you can see the same one to the right of the jack
    – NKCampbell
    Feb 1, 2019 at 22:08
  • 2
    Ah! I think that is an access plate to get to where the torsion tube is located. Feb 1, 2019 at 22:08

1 Answer 1


According to this video, this is an access port to adjust the torsion bar on the rear suspension.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .