Rotary shock abosrbers were used in period cars examples are: Ford model A, also bugatti, and ferrari. Does this type of rotary shock absorber use silicone viscous fluid as a dampener or some spring mechanism in a rotary housing. Does anyone have a schematic of such a shock absorber, for viewing, or understanding the workings of such a rotary shock absorber?

  • Was silicone viscous fluid available during the productionntime of the Ford Model A? afaik these were friction dampers and are well described in many engineering texts, so a bit of a search is necessary. – Solar Mike Jan 19 '19 at 5:29
  • 1
    Siloxanes were first characterised by Frederic Kipping in 1927, also the first production year of the Model A... one link : goo.gl/images/DoXXG5 – Solar Mike Jan 19 '19 at 5:39
  • yeah, so far as I know these are friction devices like clutches and brakes. – Jasen Jan 19 '19 at 5:56
  • All the ones I have restored had a spring, piston and petroleum fluid or oil, I took them apart, cleaned and reassembled, most of them had worn out pistons so most fluids did not help dampen the suspension, an old man told me to fill them with STP oil additive, well that worked they now dampened the suspension. – Moab Jan 19 '19 at 16:56
  • They are also called Lever Arm shock absorbers....en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever_arm_shock_absorber – Moab Jan 19 '19 at 16:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.