Some recent history for this vehicle:
- The battery had stopped charging.
- Alternator bench test passed.
- Battery bench test passed, but "in late stage of life".
- Reinstalling the original alternator seemed to have eliminated charging issues.
Then, a few days later...
The car would not crank. Suspecting the starter, I took it out and bench tested it. It seems to be functional.
I checked some voltages. Keep in mind the battery has not charged in about 10 days and has been under some load (hazards ran for an hour during towing, bench testing the starter, various attempts to start the car).
Anyway, here are the voltages:
- 12.3 @ battery (no load)
- 12.3 @ + wire @ starter (no load)
- 11.8 @ starter signal when key turned
What could the lower voltage @ the starter signal mean? What else should I check?
voltage drop tests pending