I drive a lot by night, and multiple time per day I encounter car with high beam on or incorrectly set low beam.
This a least annoying and at worst dangerous, as I am not able to see the road or to assess their position correctly (When they are behind me).
How can I communicate to the other drivers that they need to check their lights ?
Here is what I already tried :
- Flash my own light. This is sometime effective on drivers on the other side, especially if they forgot they had high beam on. This in generally unclear for overtaking drivers as this is used for a lot of things.
- Flash my rear fog light. It's very bright so it should draw attention to a light problem. Generally no effect.
- Honk at them while they overtake my, and flash light. No effect as for now.
- Make hand sign for "light" (opening hand quickly) or toward eyes. Not really visible at night.
- Redirect my inner mirror toward them so they can see their own reflexion. Not practical and certainly dangerous.
This is on the highway, so talking to the other driver directly is not feasible.
Things that I think to try :
- Placing a catadrioptre or a mirror on my windows, so they see that their light are wrong.
- Making a sign and showing them.
- Carrying a torch and beaming at them.
Alternatively, I'm willing to take any advice on how to not be blinded by others headlight.
I already use the "night" position of my inner mirror, but side mirror cannot be setted and traffic in my area is so that car often stay for kilometers in a "wingman" position. My best solution now is to hide it with my hand but this is obviously dangerous too.