I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima with a hundred and sixty-eight thousand miles on it. The water pump works fine but for some reason everytime I get out of my car it smells like it's overheating and yet my temperature gauge says it's not. When I start my car in the morning the temperature gauge was smoothie rise but then stops at the Middle Point and never goes any higher what could causes or what could cause the smell out of it overheating. The only reason I know what it smells like when a car overheats is because I actually blew an engine once and that's the exact same smell. Thanks one more thing the radiator is also fine.
It could be that your catalytic converter is overheating, from misfire or rich condition. Engine misfire can be caused by weak spark which might not set a code. Or you could have a sluggish oxygen sensor which might set a code.
Use a vacuum cleaner hose as a sniffer. Stop the car out of the wind, lie down beside the car and extend the hose toward the cat while sniffing the other end.