Hi there I recently purchased a 2003 Volkswagen 1.8T MK4. My airbag light is on and I need to get it fixed to pass inspection. HELP!? This is my first time owning a Volkswagen so I have no idea how to fix these issues. If someone can provide a step by step guide on how to fix this issue that would be great. Thank you in advance.
Summarizing the commentary on the question above:
- The vehicle is manifesting an ABS warning light.
- Ajax is thinking that this is a consequence of faulty wiring in the seat belt receiver itself (called the buckle in the comments).
- Ajax is also thinking that fixing the wiring in place would be a nightmare due to the teensy tiny wires.
Given the above, my recommendation is to replace the whole seat belt receiver. A quick online search shows candidate parts for between 15-80 USD. There's an excellent chance that a local shop has a compatible part that will do two things:
- Keep you in the seat in a crash. Important!
- Properly indicate to the vehicle that you've fastened your seat belt, thus activating the airbag (also important!).
Based on looking at the parts, the replacement should be straightforward. There's the major structural bolt and a yellow multi-pin connector. Not quite plug and play but within arms reach.