Got Toyota FJ Cruiser 2010 Automatic, 4x4 full stock (no warranty, I live in Central Europe). I have strange transmission issues. I had already spent 2,5 years of life and about 2500$ just to diagnose the problem, but so far nothing. The problems started when I've got only 3000 km on the odometer.
So the problem(s) are:
Shifting between all gears occurs with jerks. It occurs when gears up-shift or down-shift. But phenomenon is inconsistent. One time you can accelerate, and get rough shifting between all gears to achieve 5th gear (or down-shifts while slowing down). Next time when you accelerate you get rough shifting only between 1-2, 2-3 and 4-5 gears or all together (or any other combination). Next time there maybe no problems at all: absolutely smooth up-shifting. Any combination is possible.
When you depress gas pedal while moving at any speed and then press it again (even very gently and slowly): there will be jerk forward. Driving car in traffic jam became nearly impossible for me.
Hard engine braking. It occurs even when road goes downhill. When I shift to neutral car immediately goes faster. So the problem is not in brakes.
Hard kick down. For example when I drive at 5th gear (70 mph) and do kick down, transmission is trying to go through all gears while down-shifting. I mean that there is no shifting from 5th to 3nd when kick down occurs (normally). It tries to shift 5-4-3.
When my car stops on steep incline it easily rolls back. Even when compared with other FJs.
Cold or hot weather, cold or hot engine and transmission, sunny or snowy — all the same, problem is present.
What I had already done to diagnose:
- Checked transmission oil level many times — normal.
- Full computer diagnostics — no error codes, nothing.
- Reset ECM (ECU) memory many times — nothing.
- Checked all sensors in transmission using Techstream program — nothing.
- Changed transmission oil and filter on 20000 km (all OEM) — nothing. Oil was very clean.
- Checked transmission oil pressure — nothing.
- Checked engine gasoline system pressure.
- Checked brakes and ABS system many times. Changed brake fluid. Checked parking brake — nothing.
- Changed spark plugs (OEM).
- Cleared MAF sensor.
- Cleared injectors.
- Cleared and checked throttle.
- Checked and greased Cardan shaft.
- Upgraded ECM software — all the problems gone! But in 25 minutes all happened again and still present.
- Bought and installed new ECM — and again only 25 minutes of happiness.