My 4runner is getting "P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A". What does the "A" mean? Which wheel is that?
This has to do with the main vehicle speed sensor (VSS), not the wheel speed sensors. It's a generic code from the P050x series. The other P050x codes are specific issues.
Symptoms of a P0500 DTC may include:
- Loss of anti-lock brakes the "anti-lock" or "brake"
- Warning lamps on the dash may be lit
- The speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all)
- Your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased
- The shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic
- Other symptoms may also be present
Things which might be at issue are:
- The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly
- There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor
- The vehicle's PCM is not correctly configured for the actual tire size on the vehicle