Folks. Am new here so hi and Happy New Year and looking forward to helping and being helped.
I have had a significant battery drain for 3 years. Killed a battery which Canadian Tire replaced and now I disconnect a terminal every night. I was doing some work and through chance discovered that I had 12v + at the compressor housing. Odd on a negative ground vehicle. I connected a voltmeter positive lead to the compressor housing and negative to the negative terminal of the battery. It showed +12v. Thinking I had a short in the alternator which then transferred to the compressor housing I disconnected the positive terminal and it STILL showed +12v. So now I have the battery completely disconnected and when touching the compressor case with + multimeter probe and negative battery post with - probe it STILL shows +12v and a draw of .49 amps.
This is all with engine off and nothing connected to the battery other than the negative multimeter probe. Has anyone heard of this? Is my Jeep possessed? I thought you could not get a voltage or current flow without a closed circuit. I also reproduced this with two different voltmeters.
Thanks in advance.