I have a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T that just won't start after I stopped by a 711 for a snack. The key won't start the car anymore! A few odd things I noticed:
- There is not even a click when the key is turned to start.
- The doors will not lock with key and automatically unlock after 2 seconds.
- When key is in igntion and turned to start, battery light,EPC stay on.
- Brake light indicator on dash comes on as the key is turned to start.
- All windows, sunroof, power mirrors cannot be operated with the key on ON, but radio works. All interior lamps ( dome, reading, trunk) do not come on.Headlamp and other exterior lights work.
- Total loss of power-steering, the steering wheel is stiff but not locked- up.
FYI: Battery is new; I replaced the key fob battery,keyfob does not work.
I tried reprogramming the key fob, but that is not possible given that the car won't stay locked for 10 secs as stipulated in the programming steps! Called the dealership and talked briefly to the guy in the service dept, who was not helpful, just saying it must be an "electrical issue". Any help would be greatly appreciated.