If I buy a car in another state and want to drive it back, I have the problem that the car will have no registration.

Is there any solution for this problem?


If you're buying from a dealer they will give you temporary registration and you'll be fine.

For private party, depending on your state (and perhaps the states you're driving through), you'll need at the very least the signed title to your name. Some states will issue a temporary permit for this exact purpose. Call your local DMV and ask.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok, if I am in Massachusetts and I go to Florida to buy the car from a private party, then I am now in Florida and have title. How do I get a temporary registration in Massachusetts if I am in Florida? – Cooter Davenport Dec 2 '17 at 5:18
  • 2
    @CooterDavenport You don't, you get a Florida temporary tag. – David Schwartz Dec 2 '17 at 5:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.