The wheels on my Starlet '98 (European XLi version) have a cap over the nuts. The cap is locked in place with a lock which appears to need a square key with a hole in the middle.

Wheel cap lock

What is such a lock called and what kind of key do I need for it? At the moment I open them with a flat screwdriver lacking a better idea. One of the locks is in poor shape already.

1 Answer 1


You'd be looking for a bit which is something like in the following diagram, but I wouldn't know what size you'd need:

enter image description here

  • Square drive, apparently that's the term I was looking for. Turns out they even have screwdrivers like this, Roberson screwdrivers, although those don't usually have a hole in the middle. This answer got me at least on the right track, I'll update once I know the exact tool for the job.
    – Mast
    Nov 12, 2017 at 20:35
  • In the end I got a square piece of brass-ish metal, cut it to fit (left about 9mm each side) and drilled a 5.5mm hole in the middle. It's not pretty, but it does the job better than a flat screwdriver.
    – Mast
    Jan 14, 2018 at 23:57
  • @Mast - Whatever works :o) Glad you got it done. Jan 15, 2018 at 0:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.