I have a situation where I need something on a bolt threads to hold it in place but need to adjust this bold occasionally, something to just hold it firm. the bolt is a bolt adjuster and and is never tight. (some kind of firm gooey stuff) I have seen it but cant remember what it is called.

  • have a look at Loctite products : they do everything from a simple gentle thread lock to stuff where the bolt will break first....
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Aug 28, 2017 at 19:05
  • use two nuts and torque them against each other.
    – agentp
    Commented Aug 28, 2017 at 19:06
  • If you want non-locking, are you thinking of plumbers putty? Otherwise threadlocker is the way to go, they have various strengths. Commented Aug 28, 2017 at 20:32
  • Could you replace it with a mechanically locking bolt? Commented Aug 28, 2017 at 23:51

1 Answer 1


I'd recommend Loctite Blue 242 - Comes loose with hand tools, but won't shake loose. Don't use Loctite Red; that needs 500degrees heat, plus tools, to come loose.

From their website; "Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing."

For added confusion; Loctite Blue comes in a Red package, as does Loctite Red. Make sure you read the label! :)

  • Yea, the color confusion is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a product... For a time they were both in the opposite colored tubes...
    – JPhi1618
    Commented Aug 31, 2017 at 19:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .