We have all heard the loud and annoying rap-rap-rap as truckers apply compression braking for their engines, especially going down hill. Is there a something they can install to muffle this?

  • What about the boy-racer loud exhausts can we change them? The times I have heard this noise is small compared to the distance I have travelled - will it be worth the expense?
    – Solar Mike
    Jul 15, 2017 at 7:46
  • Yes. It's called a retarder or transmission brake. It replaces the compression brake, and operates silently.
    – Hobbes
    Jul 15, 2017 at 9:11
  • Cost comparison? Is that why truck manufacturer's fit them?
    – Solar Mike
    Jul 15, 2017 at 11:10


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .