In a manual transmission car, the transmission control is generally called the "stick shift". What is it called in an automatic car?

  • "stick shift" refers to a car with manual transmission, not to the transmission control. "My car is a stick shift" – Hobbes Jun 21 '17 at 8:33
  • I always called it a prndl (prounced prenundle), park, reverse,neutral,drive,low....yes I am old. – Moab Jun 21 '17 at 23:59

Both are just called either the gear lever or shift lever (in the UK anyway) Auto or manual then just refers to the transmission type.

  • 1
    I've also seen 'gear selector' used for automatics. – Hobbes Jun 21 '17 at 12:46
  • Shift lever=Automatic here in the USA across the pond. – Moab Jun 22 '17 at 0:00

I'm in the Midwest region in USA, I've heard "gearshift" and "gear selector" used for both manual and automatic, "shift lever" for an automatic with a stick, or "shift knob" for a dial-type selector.


Gear knob, shift knob. Depends on the shape. But the UK defined terminology is correct. In USA it's just referred as gear knob.

  • 2
    That's just the knob on the end of the lever. – Hobbes Jun 22 '17 at 9:00

It is called a gear shift lever or gear selector. Some call it simply a shifter.

According to the 2014 Dodge Ram owner's manual, it has the following;

enter image description here


As per the other answers, it is called the gear lever, selector, knob, etc...

If you are trying to find the name of the manual shifting in automatic, then the portmanteau term is "Manumatic". However, I have mostly heard it as TipTronic, S-Tronic, E-Shift and SportShift trademarks from different manufacturers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.