The control shafts that move the flaps which control the the hot/cold air and which vents the air come out have broken. The car is a 1999 93 Saab so I'm assuming that the hinges (the flap has a peg that goes through a hole) just need lubrication. (In addition to a replacement control shaft).

I can see that there's existing grease of some sort.

What should I be using? Is it something special and what is it called?

  • 1
    Are you refering to the dash outlets or the divetrer that controls heat/defrost/dash fuunctions also called a mixing door?
    – mikes
    Commented Oct 16, 2012 at 21:30
  • I'm referring to both actually. There's two control shafts and they're both broken. (the design of the control shafts is inherently weak). I've only looked at the side that controls the dash outlets from when it previously broke. I'm making an assumption the mixing door is similar. Itls a pain to open up the paneling so wanted to be be prepared with the lub before I took everything apart again.
    – Alex
    Commented Oct 17, 2012 at 12:18

1 Answer 1


In lieu of a better (more specialized) answer, I would use high temperature grease. Nothing too expensive though, I doubt those hinges get hotter than 500F.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .