My 1997 Ford F-150, 4.6L with automatic, is suffering from the slip join "clunk" at stops/starts.

My research has found this is a common problem when the output shaft splines get dried out. It causes the slip joint to bind and "thump" or "clunk" when it releases.

Most of the posts I have seen say the grease used for lubing the slip joint is Motorcraft PTFE type. enter image description here Others have said to just use standard high temp grease.

Can anyone provide reference to why the PTFE is recommended vs.using standard high temp grease? Would using the high temp grease cause issues/damage?

  • Every joint I saw had black molybdenum disulfide grease in – Martin May 9 '17 at 14:10
  • That's the stuff you need! – Inlandsmog May 11 '17 at 22:03
  • Sounds like an application for EP ( extreme pressure) grease . Usually they contain moly sulfide or graphite . – blacksmith37 Oct 6 '17 at 20:15

If the grease is exposed to the elements, consider using marine grease instead. It will not wash away as quickly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.