So I was reading up about battery desulfation, and it seems like a promising way to rejuvenate lead-acid batteries.


  • Can this work on a severely discharged battery, e.g. less than 9 V for a 12 V battery?
  • Can desulfation work on batteries that have been discharged for months or years?
  • How frequently should the desulfation cycle be performed? Is there such a thing as too much desulfation?

1 Answer 1


From reading that link, it's hard to say what's marketing and what's solid science.

I don't understand a lot about sulfaction (and I will read into it more and update as applicable), but from the sound of it you couldn't really use their device too much... that's not to say that the desulfaction process can't be done wrongly. The main risk would be in overcharging the cells if you're using what they show which is a charger/maintainer. However, if the charger is smart enough to shut off at full charge then it's fine. Just like leaving your phone on the charger (modern cell phones at least) doesn't cause the battery to explode. The intelligent components stop at full charge.

If their device acts the same, then you could use it daily without risk.

That said - they do offer a really good guarantee and warranty, which means that the will have explicit instructions that work best/safest. Depending on those instructions, you'll have the optimum usage for that device.

Anyway, again I'll update my answer if I learn new, more correct/applicable data.

As a note, this also may be worth asking and/or linking on the Chemistry stack or others.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .