I'm new here!

I have an old Opel Kadett KJ 1938 and this part of the carburetor broke:

enter image description here

I think it's supposed to be the needle or the float valve. You can see clearly that this part is broken. How could I fix this?

EDIT (by Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2):

In case anyone is wondering, this is what it should look like regularly:

enter image description here enter image description here


That is the top of the float bowl.. there should be like a triangular shaped cap and I assume seal on there with a bolt or filler type jet going through the centre holding it in place. You could try a bolt with the same thread, but you'll have to find an alternative way of sealing it without that cap. And this is assuming it's not some special fluted bolt etc.

I could only find this weird video of the same type of carb.. but it does show what fits there a bit more clearly.


  • Yes, a Opel P4. I think both of the cars has the same engine. I could replace this part of the carburetor, but the problem is where to find another carburetor like this. The car is in a mechanic workshop, but it doesn't seem they are competent to handle this (due it's age).
    – Jazzguy
    Mar 14 '17 at 12:59
  • It that bolt and cap don't actually control fuel flow (I'm not sure you see) or control float height, you could likely just plug and see what effect it has. As I say though if it's some sort of fuel/float control your going to need the correct part, or have one machined.
    – Orb
    Mar 14 '17 at 13:05
  • Why don't you source a simple carburettor from a similar sized engine and make some adaptor plates to make it fit? Or, are you trying for a "factory standard" re-build?
    – Solar Mike
    Mar 15 '17 at 8:42
  • @Orb "It that bolt and cap don't actually control fuel flow (I'm not sure you see) or control float height" - I I thought the same thing, but why this part broke?
    – Jazzguy
    Mar 15 '17 at 14:28
  • @SolarMike, almost 100% of the car is original, so I won't change for a new carburetor and I don't think is necessary to replace for another one.
    – Jazzguy
    Mar 15 '17 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.